Nutrition at School
Keiki in the Kitchen
Looking for a way to get your keiki to eat their veggies? Kids love to help in the kitchen! And if they help make it, kids are more likely to try it and like it.
Cooking Abilities of Young Children – what can young children help with in the kitchen?
Steps to Cooking with Young Children – a few steps that will help you get organized before cooking with your child
Games to Play with Your Keiki
Playing games is the most fun way to keep your kids physically active
Grocery Store Game – grocery shopping is more fun for everyone if you make a game out of it. Kids can learn important facts too!
Gardening with School Age Children
Organizations who are assisting schools with garden development and tending:
- Hawaii Association of Independent Schools Garden Program (Grow Hawaii)
- Hoa ‘Aina O Makaha (Makaha, Oahu)
- Ka’ala Farm, Inc. (Waianae, Oahu)
- Kohala Center’s Hawaii Island School Garden Network
- Kokua Foundation’s AINA in the Schools program (Oahu School Garden Network)
- Malama Kauai’s School Garden Network
- Maui/Molokai/Lanai School Garden Network
- MA’O Organic Farms (Waianae, Oahu)
How to keep Hawaii school children safe in the garden and wherever they may eat.
- 2009 Pew Charitable Trust’s national report on children being disproportionately affected by food-borne illnesses.
- University of California at Davis’: food safety in your home vegetable garden
- University of Connecticut’s: five steps to safe fruit and vegetable home gardening
- University of Florida’s school garden website
- University of New Hampshire’s: garden to table; five steps to food safe fruit and vegetable home gardening
- University of Maryland’s: food safety in the school garden (great page!)