4 large Japanese cucumbers, slice into ¼ inch thickness (no need to peel)
1 medium size onion, slice into ¼ inch thickness, then cut each ring into thirds
¼ cup vinegar (for a local alternative, use the local white wine that got too warm instead of tossing it out!)
2 tablespoons raw sugar crystals
1 teaspoon Hawaiian sea salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1. Pour vinegar into salad bowl.
2. Add sugar to the vinegar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
3. Add sea salt and chopped dill.
4. Add cucumber and onion.
5. Stir well until all slices are covered with the sweet salt water and dill.
6. Chill for at least 15 minutes before serving.
(Serves 8, so you’d better invite the neighbors!)
Recipe contributed by Bernie Strand.